Sgt. Murl Olson was assigned as RAF Edzell detachment commander. He, along with about a dozen men, lived in facilities provided by the RAF. The OF equipment was installed and became an immediate success. This station's product augmented that derived at Chicksands. DF at Chicksands was up to that time used primarily for training. The results of the two DF stations were enhanced by the discovery of a 4 foot by 4 foot sheet of paper in a tech site A vacant building upon whictl the world was drawn with Chicksandsat the center. This chart indicated locations of cities and major features normally found on navigation charts. Around the edge of the chart were drawn the magnetic degrees. Using this chart .a radio signal could be DFed giving the operator an immediate direction line to a transmitter. The charts were originally prepared by a printer located at Bedford. He still had the original drawings and was happy to reproduce the charts for the Americans. !
Football (American style) was not a sport at Chicksands until 1953. There was no football equipment. USAF Special Services issued equipment for games like table tennis, darts, golf and boxing. This changed when a communications specialist was setting up a circuit back to the States. This required that he talk to a US Navy sailor at Londonderry, Ireland. He learned that the Navy issued football equipment but no boxing equipment and that the Navy unit had very few personnel. A deal was made to exchange equipment. Wiggins and Verploegh flew a USAF C-47 aircraft from Bovingdon Air Base to Londonderry and exchang.ed boxing equipment for football equipment.
Golf brought many British and Americans together. A Chicksands team was organized. Matches were played with various golf clubs or men's organizations such as the Luton Police Department. This was a great mixer and great fun.
10th RSM personnel started rotation back to the States with the departure of Captains Verploegh and Parsley in July and Wiggins in August 1953. This was commemorated by a dance in the Priory second level ball room and later a picnic.
The picnic day turned out to be beautifully sunny and warm, and all gathered on the south lawn of the Priory under the large tree near the river. The warm and mellow feeling remained between the British and the Americans and now the weather reflected those feelings.
A new cadre of personnel soon started to arrive and took up the task of operating the 10th for many years to follow.
Prepared by: Edsel Wiggins, Chicksands, Oct. 1950 - Aug. 1953Contributors:
Ambrose Jackson, Chicksands, Dec. 1950 - Jul. 1959Ernest Tippie, Chicksands, Jul. 1952 - Dec. 1954