Table of Contents
SECTION III (unattached relatives at this time)
Page 96 - 133
The following is CORRECTED and UPDATED information sent by Patricia E. Braswell Bellino.
LINEAGE OF PATRICIA BRASWELL
1. Kindred BRASWELL was born July 4, 1845, in Randolph Co., Georgia. Died on July 16, 1912 in Decatur Co., Georgia. On November 12, 1868 he married Mary Katherine FAIRCLOTH who was born on May 23, 1851 in Decatur Co., Georgia. She was the daughter of Matthew and Clarissa (SASSER) FAIRCLOTH.
Arthur BRASWELL was born February 8, 1890, in Decatur Co., Georgia. Died January 14, 1953, Greensboro, Gadsen, Florida. On December 22, 1913, in Decatur Co., Georgia he married Della Turnage who was born on May 11, 1896. Della was the daughter of William and Charlotte Ann (CROWSON) TURNAGE. Their children:
1. Ernest BRASWELL, born September 23, 1914 in Donalsonville, Decatur Co., Georgia. Died April 24, 1990 in Montgomery, Alabama. On Augsut 17, 1940, in Vidalia, Toombs Co., Georgia he married Mamie Lee Evelyn POPE who was born on November 19, 1919 in Towns, Telfair Co., Georgia. Died March 19, 1988 in Macon, Bibb Co., Georgia. She was the daughter of Herschel V. and Mamie Ida (BRANTLEY) POPE. Their children:
a. Patricia Ann BRASWELL, born March 17 1942 in Vidalia, Toombs Co., Georgia.
b. Judith Elaine BRASWELL, born on November 18, 1946 in Vidalia, Toombs Co., Georgia.
2. Fred BRASWELL, born February 11, 1917 in Donalsonville, Decatur Co., Georgia. Died June 12, 1918 in Donalsonville, Decatur Co., Georgia.
3. Everett BRASWELL, born April 3, 1919, Millville, Bay Co., Florida. Died on July 9, 1974 in Waltham, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. On November 30, 1947, in Arlington, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts he married Carminella Francesca MARAIO who was born October 21, 1925, in East Boston, Massachusetts. Died on January 29, 1997 in Arlington, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. Their only child:
a. Patricia Elaine BRASWELL was born 1949, Wincester, Middlesex, Massachusetts. She married David Lewis Barker July 4, 1969. Divorced in 1981. Their children:
1. Keith Joseph Barker, born 1970, Arlington, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. Married Darlene Claudia Rosemarie FLEMING in 1998. Their only child:
a. Isabelle Catherine Rosemary BARKER, born 2002, in Manchester, Hillsborough Co., New Hampshire. (At this writing - in May 2003 - another daughter is due in 2003.)
2. Heather Ellen Barker, born in Stoneham, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. Her only child: Sade Ngozi Carmella BARKER, born 2003, in Leominster, Worcester Co., Massachusetts.
In 1982 Patricia Elaine BRASWELL married Douglas Jack BELLINO in Belmont, Middlesex, Massachusetts. Divorced in 1988.
Their only child:
1. Matthew Joel BELLINO, born 1986 in Nashua, Hillsborough Co., New Hampshire.
LINEAGE OF CANDACE NUNNALLY (BOOTH) BINDER
1. Benjamin Rhodes BRASWELL was born October 5, 1821? in North Carolina. He died June 6, 1864, in prison camp, Little Rock, Arkansas, Confederate States of America (see pg 163). In 1848 he married Sarah Ann McWilliam who was born April 20, 1822, in Mississippi. Sarah Ann died April 2, 1886, Marysville, Arkansas.
2. George Franklin BRASWELL was born October 1851 in North Carolina and died April 2, 1909, in Marysville, Arkansas. He married Martha Ellen Batey who was born August 30, 1859, and died April 2, 1909, and was buried in the Strong Cemetery, Strong, Arkansas.
3. Ora Jane BRASWELL was born September 10, 1894, in Marysville, Arkansas, and died April 10, 1971, Alexandria, Louisiana, and was buried in the Strong Cemetery. She married Willie Byron Booth June 23, 1912. He was born August 15, 1889, Nick Springs, Arkansas, and died April 15, 1980, El Dorado, Arkansas. His parents were William Douglas and Norah Lee (Barnett) Booth.
4. Candace Nunnally Booth was born 1947, Freeport, Texas. She married Fenwick Francis Norbet Binder on 1974.
In 1980 the home of Candace Binder was Gonzales, Louisiana.
SOME DESCENDANTS OF DAVID BRASEL
The year Illinois was admitted to the Union, Mr. David BRASEL came with his family and located in Green County, which at that time was about as far north as any of the sturdy settlers had moved. In his family was an infant two months old, to whom they gave the name of Lewis. Lewis BRASEL was born in Tennessee, August 16, 1818. His parents, David and Ann (Clarkson) BRASEL, were also natives of Tennessee, and Lewis was the oldest of their five children. David and Ann moved, as many of those early settlers did, from county to county. They seemingly could not live in a too thickly populated settlement, and consequently, when a few families would move in, they would move on to some new place...
1. David BRASEL, born in Tennessee and died in Illinois, was the son of James BRASEL who died 1799 in Tennessee. His wife, Anna Clarkson, was born January 13, 1794, Tennessee and died September 27, 1883, Henry County, Illinois. They are buried in the Cosners Cemetery, Burns, Illinois. Two of their children:
A. Lewis BRASEL, born 1818 in Tennessee and died 1894, Henry County, Illinois. He married Mary Stout.
B. David BRASEL, born July 21, 1821, and died March 30, 1912, Springfield, Illinois. He married Mary Ann Long in 1855 and moved to Virginia where they lived for thirty years. They had ten sons. He had the distinction of having reared the largest family of boys in his community. Their sons:
1. William BRASEL, lived in Iowa at time of funeral in 1912.
2. Dexter BRASEL was also living in Iowa in 1912.
3. Edward BRASEL was living in Aronzville in 1912.
4. Samuel BRASEL was living in Dow City, Iowa in 1912.
5. George BRASEL was living in Lee's Center in 1912.
6. Clark BRASEL was living in Beardston in 1912.
7. Frank BRASEL was living in Beardston in 1912.
8. Charles BRASEL was living in Ashland in 1912.
9. Howard BRASEL was living in Springfield, Illinois in 1912.
10. Smith BRASEL was living in Springfield, Illinois in 1912.
11. James BRASEL died in 1888.
UPDATE: Connection found, see SECTION II, page 76 for complete lineage.
1. Jacob BRASWELL who married Mary Cohan. Their children:
A. Orlando BRASWELL who married Mary Harvey.
B. Soloman BRASWELL- no data.
C. John BRASWELL- teacher, lawyer, and doctor. His son:
1. Charles E. BRASWELL
a. Charles E. BRASWELL, Jr. called "Hussy".
2. Orlando BRASWELL married Mary Harvey. Their children:
A. George BRASWELL married Janie Elliott. Their daughter:
1. Maxine BRASWELL
B. John BRASWELL died young.
C. Joseph Lee BRASWELL married Daisy Duncan.
D. Mary BRASWELL- no data.
3. Joseph Lee BRASWELL married Daisy Duncan. Their children:
A. George W. BRASWELL was born in Calloway County, Kentucky.
B. Harvey M. BRASWELL was born May 1890, Calloway County.
C. N. Ellison BRASWELL was born July 27, 1900, Calloway County.
D. Bumpass O. BRASWELL was born 1903, Henry County.
E. Robert Eugene BRASWELL was born 1906, Henry County, Tennessee. He had only one child:
1. Margaret Ellen BRASWELL, she married Gordon Coffey. Their children:
a. Karen Coffey
b. Steve Coffey
c. K. Braswell Coffey
4. Bumpass O. BRASWELL was born 1903, Henry County, Tennessee. He married Mrs. Grace Hort _____. Their children:
A. Joseph Robert Michael BRASWELL, born in Tennessee.
B. James Bumpass BRASWELL was born in Paris, Tennessee.
Bumpass BRASWELL has his home in Paris, Tennessee.
Bythal BRASWELL was listed as the head of the household in Edgecombe County, North Carolina, on the 1840 Census. In his last will, Bythal BRASWELL requested that all his estate be equally divided among all his children.
Abstracts of wills, Edgecombe County, North Carolina, 1773-1856, by William Griffin. January 21, 1841, February Court 1842, Book F, page 226- wife Louise. Estate equally divided between all children, Viz: Jackie Dew BRASWELL, William BRASWELL, Calvin BRASWELL, Serany BRASWELL and Francis BRASWELL.
The Children of Bythal and Louise BRASWELL
A. Jackie Dew BRASWELL married John L. Pell on August 8, 1835 (Marriages of Edgecombe County, North Carolina). On the 1860 Census they were listed in Pickens County, Alabama.
B. William "Willie" BRASWELL died perhaps in Kemper County, Mississippi.
C. Calvin BRASWELL, where abouts unknown.
D. Serany BRASWELL married Thomas Thornell on December 18, 1835, in Edgecombe
County, North Carolina.
E. Frances BRASWELL married James E. Sauls May 21, 1842, Sumter County, Alabama.
This information was furnished by Mrs. Betty (Tom) Lawrence of 4201 Pineview Dr., Meridian, Mississippi. She was the great-granddaughter of Jackie Dew BRASWELL Pell.
LINEAGE OF CLASPER LEE BRASWELL
1. Andrew Jackson BRASWELL (BRASEL) was born 1829, South Carolina. The name of his wife was
Martha S. who was born 1832, South Carolina. The children of Andrew Jackson and Martha:
A. Andrew Jackson BRASWELL, Jr., born about 1859 in South Carolina.
B. William J. BRASWELL, born 1859? in South Carolina.
C. Elizer BRASWELL, born 1862 in South Carolina, C.S.A.
D. Simon B. BRASWELL, born 1863 (twin?) in South Carolina, C.S.A.
E. Levi P. BRASWELL, born 1863 (twin?) in South Carolina, C.S.A.
F. Joseph B. BRASWELL, born 1866 in South Carolina, C.S.A.
G. Vicy V. BRASWELL, born 1868 in South Carolina.
H. Newton R. BRASWELL, born 1870 in South Carolina.
I. John R.C. BRASWELL, born 1872 in South Carolina.
The 1880 South Carolina Census for Lancaster County shows Harriet and Lydia, daughters-in-law, living in the Andrew J. BRASEL, Sr. household (see pg. 216).
2. Andrew Jackson BRASWELL, Jr., who was born October 13, 1859, and died December 7, 1928, Sherman, Texas, was buried in Friendship Cemetery, Sherman, Texas. He married Hattie Keaton 1876, who was born in Tennessee on August 5, 1858. They were married 1876 in Tennessee. Their children:
A. Mattie Lee BRASWELL was born 1878 in Tennessee.
B. Sarah B. BRASWELL was born 1879 in Tennessee.
C. Horace G. BRASWELL was born 1898 in Texas.
3. Horace Greely BRASWELL was born August 2, 1898, Altoga, Collin County, Texas, and died June 15, 19--, Sherman, Texas. He was buried in Memorial Park, Sherman, Texas. He married Ella Francis Smithson who was born 1901, DeKalb County, Tennessee. Their children:
A. Clasper Lee BRASWELL, born 1919.
B. Violet Mozelle BRASWELL, born 1921.
4. Clasper Lee BRASWELL, was born 1919, in DeKalb County, Tennessee. He married Ruth Estelle Bryant 1941. Ruth was born 1920, Gentry County, Missouri. Their children (?):
Francis BRASWELL, born 1942, Sherman, Texas. She married Richard
Raymond Ackermans 1963.
[B.- D. children with incorrect dates of birth, or grandchildren?]
B. Douglas Anthony BRASWELL, born 1965, Dallas, Texas.
C. Kelly Alicia BRASWELL, born 1968, Dallas, Texas.
D. Jill Lyn BRASWELL, born 1967, Dallas, Texas.
This information was given by Mrs. C.L. BRASWELL of Sherman, Texas on May 9, 1978.
LINEAGE OF FLOYD ROBERT BRASWELL
1. Frederick BRASWELL married Lucy Gibson who was born April 30, 1885, Slater, Saline County, Missouri. Lucy died young and their son Floyd Robert was raised by an elderly Aunt and Uncle.
2. Floyd Robert BRASWELL was born April 13, 1896, Lanis, Texas. (Lanis is today more or less a ghost town.) He married Mabel Catherine Brightwell, the daughter of James Addison and Sallie Titt (Huff) Brightwell, on 1918, Boswell, Choctaw County, Oklahoma. Evidently Floyd's next marriage was to Katherine Lucille as she is listed as the mother of his children. After Katherine died, Floyd married
Margaret Wiley in 1972, Pique, Woodson County, Kansas. The children of Floyd and Katherine:
A. Katherine Lucille BRASWELL was born 1922, Boswell, Oklahoma. On September 13, she married Earl George Powell, son of James Ellison and Mabel Edith (Trenary) Powell. Earl was born 1914, Anderson County, Kansas. This marriage produced no children.
B. Donald Gibson BRASWELL was born 1928, Iola, Kansas. He married Ernestine Loretta Rush 1950. She was the daughter of Ernest and Ruth Irene (Connell) Rush. Ernestine was born 1933, Neosho Falls, Woodson County, Kansas. They had two children:
1. Steven Don BRASWELL, born 1955, Wichita, Kansas.
2. Mark Kevin BRASWELL, born 1956, South Reislip, England.
Mrs. Virgil Crowley, 508 B and E, Boulevard, Glen Burnie, Maryland, sent this information. She would be glad to exchange information with others of her line.
LINEAGE OF GERALD SAMUEL BRASWELL
1. James Richard BRASWELL, born January 23, 1840, South Carolina and died October 10, 1918, Fork, South Carolina. James served in the Civil War. He married Effie Bryant who was born March 5, 1837, and died January 17, 1910, in Fork. Their children:
A. Jasper W., born March 24, 1857, and died January 25, 1929, and buried in Gasque Cemetery on Highway 501, Marion County.
B. William J., born January 6, 1859, and died January 8, 1893.
C. Annie, born April 16, 1862, C.S.A., and died January 10, 1889.
D. John S., born February 5, 1867, C.S.A.
E. Lorena, born September 26, 1868, married Brodie Stephens on October 17, 1888.
F. Susan, born June 26, 1872, married S.L. Rogers.
G. Roberta, born July 30, 1875, married a McKenzie, second marriage was to a Miss Bryant (has to be his second marriage!).
H. Samuel Jackson, born October 20, 1878, and died April 16, 1941.
2. Samuel Jackson BRASWELL was born October 20, 1878, Fork, South Carolina, and died April 16, 1941, in Fork, South Carolina. January 19, 1902, he married Annie Carmichael who was born October 22, 1882, in Fork and died Christmas Day, 1965, Lumberton, North Carolina. She was the daughter of Duncan Calvin and Lemantha (Walters) Carmichael.
3. Carroll Carmichael BRASWELL, born 1903, Fork, South Carolina. In 1932, he married Ethel Ammons, who was born 1908. Her parents were Holland and Mary Jane (Stubbs) Ammons.
4. Gerald Samuel BRASWELL was born 1933, Fork, South Carolina. On 1953, he married Betty Joyce Reece who was born 1935, Laurinburg, North Carolina. Their home is in Laurinburg.
LINEAGE OF HAROLD TALMADGE BRASWELL
1. William Henry BRASWELL was born 1819 near Raleigh, North Carolina, on the Pee Dee River. He married Laura Vehilia Lumbes.
2. David Alexander Talmadge BRASWELL was born December 12, 1864, Union County, Arkansas, C.S.A. He married Lou Hare Newberry, her parents were John Frank and Essie (Butler) Newberry.
3. Creal Talmadge BRASWELL was born 1904, Waldo, Arkansas. He married Cora Lou Newberry. Their children:
A. Harold Talmadge BRASWELL, born 1930, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
B. Raymond Eugene BRASWELL, born 1934, Texarkana, Arkansas.
C. Ronald David BRASWELL, born 1936, Texarkana, Arkansas.
4. Harold Talmadge BRASWELL was born 1930, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. He married Barbara Ann Bellus, who was born 1931, Bethany, Missouri. Their children:
A. Luann Mae BRASWELL, born 1957, Denver, Colorado.
B. Leslie Duane BRASWELL, a son- born 1960, Shreveport, LA.
C. Allison Jo BRASWELL, born 1964, Fort Smith, Arkansas
In 1973 Harold's home was 2120 Packard Place, Fort Smith, Arkansas. He is quite interested in tracing his line and would be happy to exchange information with anyone of his line. His people seem to have moved from North Carolina to Arkansas, perhaps before 1850 or about that time.
DESCENDANTS OF JAMES BRASWELL
1. There must be missing records here as Richard (1700-1769) cannot be the father of James L. (1836-1889), but it is believed he is an ancestor of James.
See Note at end of the section for James L. Braswell. Evidently a child sent it and we are waiting for corrections. Do not use this information.
2. James L. BRASWELL was born 1836 in Georgia and died 1889. His wife was Sarah. Their children:
A. Sophrona Belle BRASWELL, born May 19, 1865 in Indiana.
B. George BRASWELL, born 1867 in Indiana.
C. James BRASWELL, was born 1869 in Kansas.
D. Bert BRASWELL was born 1871 in Missouri.
E. Emma BRASWELL was born 1873 in Missouri.
F. Cicero BRASWELL, born 1875 in Missouri.
G. Dora BRASWELL, born 1879 in Kansas.
SOPHRONA BELLE BRASWELL, DAUGHTER OF JAMES L. BRASWELL
1. Sophrona Belle BRASWELL was born May 19, 1865, in Indiana and died one week after the birth of her fourth child, Nellie, on July 29, 1888, Winnebago County, Illinois. She was buried in Owen City, Winnebago County July 31, 1888. She married Oscar Herbert Turney who was born August 29, 1859, Illinois and died January 22, 1939, Beloit, Wisconsin. Their children:
A. William Edward Turney, born September 21, 1882, Owen, Illinois.
B. Gary Manetta Turney, born May 12, 1884, Owen, Illinois.
C. Blanch Eulalia Turney, born April 28, 1886, Durand, Illinois.
D. Nellie Turney, born July 22, 1888, Owen, Illinois.
2. Blanch Eulalia Turney, who was born April 28, 1886, Durand, Illinois, and died April 12, 1971, Medford, Oregon, married Harry Willis Hamilton. Harry was born February 6, 1861 (?) Newburg, New York.
3. Ida Hamilton, daughter of Blanch and Harry, was born 1913, LaCenter, Washington. She married Emery James Vincent in 1931. Emery was born 1907, in Jackson County, Oregon.
4. Ruthie Marie Vincent was born 193-, Jackson County, Oregon. She married Donald Malcoln Burrill in 1955. He was born in LaCenter, Washington, 1934.
JAMES BRASWELL, SON OF JAMES L. BRASWELL
1. James BRASWELL was born 1869 and died about 1891. He married Anna McNeely who was born April 1859 near Americus, Georgia, and died June 1936 and was buried in Sandersville, Georgia. Her father was William McNeely who was probably born in Ireland.
2. Harroll (Harrell) BRASWELL was born May 6, 1892, Jefferson County, Georgia. 1930, he married Myrtle Edenfield who was born 1911, Wadley, Georgia. Her parents were R. and Annie (Hayes) Edenfield.
3. Emory H. BRASWELL was born 1932, Brooklyn, New York. His first marriage was to Ritamarie Collins on 1952, and his second marriage was to F. Botnick in 1972. His children:
A. Geoffrey E. BRASWELL, born 1964.
B. Elizabeth J. BRASWELL, born 1971.
NOTE: We have been in contact with a cousin from this section. A lot of the information is not correct. We are waiting for corrected information and will link to it. Do not copy information from this section at this time.
DESCENDANTS OF MARION BRASWELL
1. Marion BRASWELL, by his first marriage (wife's name unknown) had the following children:
A. David Hogan BRASWELL C. Ollie BRASWELL
B. Gus BRASWELL D. Isey BRASWELL
By his second marriage (wife's name not given):
A. Marion BRASWELL C. Berrie BRASWELL
B. Ernest BRASWELL D. Della BRASWELL
2. David Hogan BRASWELL, was born July 7, 1862 or 1865, in Decatur, Alabama, C.S.A., and died April 26, 1918. He married Georgia Ann Gibson who was born October 17, 1861, and died September 18, 1909. Their children:
A. Chester Edgar "Jake", born January 5, 1882 or 1887 and died 1969.
B. Grover Talmadge, born February 6 or 7, 1885 and died 1933.
C. Sarah Marinda, born 1887 and married Mr. Black.
D. Francis Flora, born March 14, 1890, and married Charles Harris.
E. Molly Lee, born June 24, 1892, and married Mr. Kemp.
F. Thomas Hogan, born 1894, and lives in Fairfield, AL.
G. Lewis Augusta, born June 14, 1897, deceased.
H. Johnnie Ola, born 1900, her home was in Hueytown, AL.
GROVER TALMADGE BRASWELL, SON OF DAVID HOGAN BRASWELL
1. Grover Talmadge BRASWELL was born February 6 or 7, 1885, and died November 28, 1933. He had at least two children:
A. Thomas David BRASWELL, born 1922.
B. Elsie LaNelle BRASWELL
Thomas David BRASWELL, Son Of Grover Talmadge BRASWELL
1. Thomas David BRASWELL was born 1922, Salisburg, North Carolina. 1944, he married Jewel Christine Yarborough who was born August 10, 1925 (?), Union County, North Carolina, and died April 14, 1964, Redlands Beach, California. Her father was Joseph Yarborough.
2. David Eugene BRASWELL was born June 13, 1945, Charlotte, North Carolina, and died November 5, 1979, in Lochbuie, a small town north of Denver, Colorado. In 1964, he married Leona M. "Lee" Williams who was born 1943, Ogden, Utah. Her parents were Theodore Leland and Margaret Roberta (Baker) Williams. David and Leona had two sons:
A. Erick Eugene BRASWELL, born 1964, Fort Riley, Kansas.
B. Stacy Lee BRASWELL, born 1973, Colorado Springs, CO.
The home of Leona BRASWELL in 1980 was Brighton, Colorado.
Elsie LaNelle, Daughter Of Grover Talmadge BRASWELL
1. Elsie LaNelle BRASWELL married W.R. Patterson. Their home in 1979 was Riverside, California.
FRANCIS FLORA BRASWELL, DAUGHTER OF DAVID HOGAN BRASWELL
1. Francis Flora BRASWELL was born March 14, 1890, and died August 19, 1960, in Birmingham, Alabama. She married Charles Richard Harris in 1904.
2. Gertrude Mahalia Harris, daughter of Francis and Charles, married, on 1925, Noah Marvel Hodges, who was born December 24, 1896, Republic, Alabama. Their children:
A. Francis Faye Hodges D. Barbara Jean Hodges
B. Betty Ruth Hodges E. Patricia Marie Hodges
C. Dixie Ann Hodges
3. Francis Faye Hodges was born 1926, in Birmingham, Alabama, and married Wilbur G. Robbins on 1946.
4. Mark Robbins is the only son of Francis and Wilbur Robbins.
DESCENDANTS OF PETER BRASWELL
1. Peter BRASWELL was born in North Carolina about 1845 and is probably the son of William BRASWELL. He married Martha Green Mosier who was born 1845. He probably moved to Tennessee before 1850 and settled in DeKalb County. They had several children whose names appeared on the 1880 Census of DeKalb County (see pg. 219). UPDATE: Connection found, see page 110.
A. William A. BRASWELL, born 1865, Confederate States of America.
B. Amy C. BRASWELL, born 1867.
C. Permeliad BRASWELL, born 1870.
D. Cora Bell BRASWELL, born 1873.
E. Eliza E. BRASWELL, born 1878
F. Matthew Allen BRASWELL, born 1879.
CORA BELL BRASWELL, DAUGHTER OF PETER BRASWELL
1. Cora Bell BRASWELL, who was born 1873, married Landy Curtis who was born in DeKalb County, Tennessee.
2. William Hobert Curtis, the son of Cora Bell and Landy Curtis was born March 6, 1899, DeKalb County, and died April 1, 1921, in DeKalb. He married Eva Mai Robinson who was born 1903, in DeKalb.
3. Wilma Lucille Curtis, the daughter of William and Eva, was born 1923, in DeKalb County. She married (?) 1942.
This information was sent by Robert Wall of Bowling Green, Kentucky.
MATTHEW ALLEN BRASWELL, SON OF PETER BRASWELL
1. Matthew Allen BRASWELL, Sr., who was born 1879 on Dry Creek in DeKalb County, married Minnie Mae LaFever. She was born 1884 in Putman County, Tennessee and died on Christmas Day, 1939. She was buried in the Wharton Springs Cemetery. Matthew died October 1949. Their children:
A. Dallas Allen, born August 11, 1899, and died December 31, 1968.
B. Clarence Elmer, born 1901.
C. Lloyd Sylvanus, born September 20, 1903, and died October 30, 1936.
D. Johnnie Vestal, born 1910
E. Wilburn Chester
F. Matthew Allen, Jr. born June 21, 1918, and died June 17, 1947.
G. Jewel Lee, born October 21.
H. Gerald Brown, born 1923.
I. Lillie Mae
J. Nanny Green
K. Maurice Edwin, born 1925, and married Eddie Hayes.
CLARENCE ELMER BRASWELL, SON OF MATTHEW ALLEN BRASWELL, SR.
1. Clarence Elmer BRASWELL was born 1901, DeKalb County. He married Lucille Groom in 1934. Lucille was born March 16, 1914, and died November 15, 1958. Their children:
A. Lunette BRASWELL was born 1936, DeKalb County, and married Nicol Murray.
B. Clarence Carter BRASWELL was born 1941, DeKalb County. He married Patsy Cherry who was born 1942. Their children:
1. Clarence Carter BRASWELL, Jr., born 1964.
2. Ann Cherry BRASWELL, born 1967.
3. Thomas Blair BRASWELL, born 1971.
C. Vanissa BRASWELL, born 1953, DeKalb County. In 1973 she was a senior in Tennessee Tech, Mufreesboro, Tennessee.
This information was provided by Clarence BRASWELL who has a very nice nursery in Smithville where he is happy in his work. On the main street of Smithville he has a fine brick home. He is a busy man, but finds time to visit with unannounced visitors.
JOHNNIE VESTAL, SON OF MATTHEW ALLEN BRASWELL, SR.
1. Johnnie Vestal BRASWELL, was born 1910, Smithville, Tennessee. He married Elsie Victoria White, who was born 1911. Their children:
A. Clydia BRASWELL C. Johnnie Faye BRASWELL
B. Kenneth Earl BRASWELL
2. Johnnie Faye BRASWELL was born 1937, Lavergne, Tennessee. She married Arlie H. Jacoby who was born 1932, Frederickburg, Texas. Their children:
A. Barry Dale Jacoby
B. Arlinda Jacoby
Mrs. Johnnie Faye Jacoby lives at 200 Briggs Avenue, Bisbee, Arizona.
UPDATE: A connection has been found, see SECTION III, page 110.
LINEAGE OF ROY FRED BRASWELL
1. No data on the parents, but their known children were:
A. John Fred BRASWELL, born February 22, 1871.
B. James BRASWELL, died unmarried 1933 and is buried in the Hugo Cemetery, Oklahoma.
C. Emma BRASWELL who married Hugh Wallace, she too is buried in Hugo.
2. John Fred BRASWELL was born February 22, 1871, Missouri. He married Martha Elizabeth Phy, who was born August 4, 1885, Cookeville, Tennessee. She died October 26, 1971, McKinney, Texas. Their children:
A. William Howard BRASWELL died March 9, 1966, and is buried in the Fairview Cemetery, Bronte, Texas. His son:
1. Malcoln BRASWELL
B. James Tom BRASWELL died 1968 and was buried in Amarillo. He had one son and one daughter living in Amarillo in 1971- no more data.
C. George A. BRASWELL was born in Bronte, Texas. His son:
1. Eddie Roy BRASWELL of Sweetwater, Texas.
D. Pearl BRASWELL married (?) Davis. They have two children- no data.
E. Roy Fred BRASWELL was born 1903, Fannin County, Texas.
3. Roy Fred BRASWELL was born 1903, in Fannin County. He married Mattie Mitchell 1922. Mattie was born 1903, Collin County, Texas. Their children:
A. Retta BRASWELL was born 1924, Ralls, Texas. She married Irven Lee Escue 1947. He was born 1925, Robert Lee, Texas. Their children:
1. Freddie Lee Escue, born 1948, San Angelo, Texas.
2. John Escue, born 1953, San Angelo, Texas.
3. Glenn Dale Escue, born 1956, Perryton, Texas.
B. Melba BRASWELL, born 1927, Ralls, Texas, married J.W. Denman 1945. He was born 1924, Robert Lee, Texas. Their child:
1. Mike Denman, born 1950, San Angelo, Texas.
Roy Fred and Mattie BRASWELL are both retired and are enjoying their retirement and grandchildren. He said he had done a little of everything, and she had been a nurse. They would be happy to correspond with anyone of their line.
LINEAGE OF SAM HARBEN BRASWELL
1. J.H. BRASWELL, Rev. was born April 16, 1836 (?), Georgia and died August 16, 1953. His wife M.L. (?) was born December 1862 and died March 29, 1953 (dates taken from gravestone). Two of their children:
A. L.M. BRASWELL- a daughter 6 months old on 1880 Georgia Census.
B. Samuel McCoy BRASWELL was born November 22, 1886.
2. Samuel McCoy BRASWELL was born November 22, 1886. His first marriage was to Clara Phillips who was born 1889 and died 1929. This family line stems from this marriage. After the death of Clara, Samuel McCoy married Eudora Spencer who was born March 15, 1890, and died January 13, 1974, and was also buried in Dreamland Cemetery. Samuel McCoy BRASWELL was a newspaper publisher. He died April 1, 1961. The children of Samuel and Clara:
A. Sam Phillips BRASWELL B. Marie BRASWELL
3. Sam Phillips BRASWELL was born 1910, Dallas, Texas. He married Cecelia Atteberry. They have a lovely home in Kerrville, Texas. He has been in the newspaper business form many years. Now he and his wife Cecelia have a printing office in Kerrville. They had one son:
4. Sam Harben BRASWELL was born 1931. He married Betty Wildman. Their children:
A. Sammy Lynn BRASWELL C. Robin Aileene BRASWELL
B. Carol Denise BRASWELL
DESCENDANTS OF BROTHERS SAMPSON AND AARON BRASWELL
In North Carolina two brothers were born, Sampson in 1782 and Aaron in 1787. The parents of the brothers at this point is unknown. What is known is that both brothers married sisters, Nancy and Priscilla Williams, the daughters of Lucreasy (possible daughter of William and Martha BRASWELL- see page 182) and William Williams, Sr. Both Aaron and Sampson moved to Tennessee and raised their families there, later, Aaron was to move to Missouri leaving his brother behind.
SOME DESCENDANTS OF SAMPSON BRASWELL
1. Sampson BRASWELL was born about 1782 in North Carolina. Research is being conducted to determine if he was the grandson of SAMUEL BRASWELL listed in his will of 1794 (see page 184). He married Priscilla Williams who was born 1781, North Carolina and died after 1850. She was the daughter of William and Lucreasy (Lucreasy may be the daughter of William and Martha BRASWELL- see pg. 182) Williams. In 1818 they were in Tennessee. Their children:
A. William BRASWELL was born 1809, DeKalb County, Tennessee. He married Clarissa Vire who was born about 1816.
B. Lee BRASWELL was born about 1811, Tennessee. His first wife was Mary W. Sellers who died 1883 and was buried in the Cathart Cemetery, Dry Creek, Tennessee. After her death, Lee married Lucinda Bray, daughter of Tempe Bray.
C. Samuel BRASWELL was born 1812 in Tennessee and died about 1894. His first marriage was to Mary W. (Polly) Adams who was born June 10, 1819. She was the daughter of Abraham and Nancy Adams. His second marriage was to Susan Sweeny, widow of (?) Kerley.
D. Nathan BRASWELL was born about 1816, Tennessee. He married Mahala about 1824.
E. Lemuel BRASWELL was born about 1816, Tennessee. He was married to Elizabeth. Lemuel went to Missouri in 1855 and lived in Garfield.
F. Lucretia BRASWELL was born about 1817, Tennessee. She married first a Sellers, her second marriage was to John Cubbins. She died while married to Jacob Adams.Jacob Adams, widower of Lucretia BRASWELL, married Nola Owen Overall. They had one daughter:
A. Una Jane Adams who married William Hays Robinson. Their daughter:
1. Wenzola Robinson married Gurney Oscar Kiger.
The home of Mrs. Kiger is 4027 Sunbeam Avenue, Chattanooga, Tennessee, 37402.
WILLIAM BRASWELL, SON OF SAMPSON BRASWELL
1. William BRASWELL was born 1809 in Tennessee and married Clarissa Vire who was born 1815 in Tennessee.
2. Peter's parents were given as William and Clarissa, but this could not be correct. (Now I believe his year of birth is incorrect (see pg 106)-JAB).
3. Peter Sampson BRASWELL, descendant (son???) of William and Clarissa, was born July 2, 1894 (probably @1844, see page 106). He married Martha Green Mosier who was the daughter of Harvey G. and Lucinda Mosier.
4. Matthew Allen BRASWELL married Minnie Mae LeFeure. She was the daughter of John Wesley and Nancy Mae (Tibbs) LeFeure (see page 107).
5. Lloyd Silvania (Sylvanus) BRASWELL was born in 1903 and died 1930. He was married to Lillian Bluhm who was born 1903 and died 1978. She was the daughter of Elbert and Sally (Patterson) Bluhm (see page 107).
6. Truman Allen BRASWELL was born 1925, DeKalb County and married Della Louise Redman 1947. Della was born 1927, Warren County, Tennessee. She was the daughter of James Madison and Will Ellen (Warren) Redman. The children of Truman:
A. Ricky Allen BRASWELL
B. Trena Willann BRASWELL
7. Trena Willann BRASWELL was born 1962, Smithville, DeKalb County, Tennessee.
This information was provided by Trena BRASWELL, who in 1980, had researched her family tree as a school project.
SOME DESCENDANTS OF AARON BRASWELL
Aaron BRASWELL was born around 1787 (according to the 1850 Census), in North Carolina and married Nancy Williams between 1810-1820. While we are so far unable to identify the parents of Aaron, it is believed he had a brother named Sampson (age 68 in 1850) who married Nancy's sister, Priscilla Williams. Nancy was the daughter of Lucreasy (possible daughter of William and Martha BRASWELL- see page 182) and William Williams, Sr. of North Carolina and was born around 1795, by some accounts in Alabama, but more likely in North Carolina. Both Aaron and Nancy appeared on the 1850 DeKalb County, Tennessee Census. At that time he was sixty-three years old and Nancy was fifty-five. Their children who were still at home when the Census was taken were: William- 24; Henry- 22; Mikajah- 17; Lucresia- 13; Duane- 13; and Terry- 8. All these children were born in Tennessee. In the Index to Service Records of Volunteer Soldiers- War of 1812 Aaron was shown to be a member of North Carolina 3rd (Moore's) Regiment, North Carolina Militia.
Aaron and his wife, and several of their children moved to Missouri in 1852. They lived in a house on the Norton place which was owned by his daughter Willia Dewilmuth Parlee (BRASWELL) Norton. Nancy died here and was buried near the house where Aaron could see her grave. He, too, is buried here. They are reported to have had eighteen children, but as they were probably already independent before 1850 they did not appear on the 1850 Census.
A. Lee BRASWELL, an older son fought in the War Between the States from Madison County, Missouri. He fought with the outlaw Sam Hildebrand and his Bushwhackers. In 1850, Lee was in DeKalb County, Tennessee. His household was listed at that time as: Aaron (Lee?)- 29; Eliza- 38; Oleasant C.- 7; Marilda- 5; James M.- 3; William F.- 1.
B. Willia Dewilmuth Parlee BRASWELL, a daughter of Aaron and Nancy, was born 1820 in Tennessee. She married Abraham Norton, probably a son of Jacob and Nancy Norton in the early 1850's. It can be proved that they later moved to Madison County, Missouri, in 1852 by the descendants of their daughter Lucretia. The Combs family have the letter dismissing both Abraham P. Norton and his wife, Willia Norton, as members in full fellowship from the Mount Moriah Baptist Church in DeKalb County. The letter is dated "Saturday before the second Lord's Day, September 1852".
LUCRETIA NORTON, DAUGHTER OF WILLIA DEWILMUTH PARLEE (BRASWELL) NORTON
1. Lucretia Norton, daughter of Willia and Abraham Norton, was born October 24, 1851, in DeKalb County, Tennessee. She married George Joseph Heltibrand the son of Henry and Sarah (White) Heltibrand, who was born December 23, 1851, in Madison County, Missouri. According to Lulu Belle Heltibrand, the original spelling of the name was Hildebrand and she believed Henry and the outlaw Sam Hildebrand were related, however this has not been proven. Reportedly, Henry changed the spelling during the Civil War to avoid association with the famous outlaw. Lucretia died February 24, 1916, and George died April 12, 1907, in Missouri. They had five children:
A. William Henry Heltibrand was born December 28, 1877, and died in 1933. William was married twice, first to Emma Pierce and second to Lottie Hughes. (no record of children)
of dismissal notice from the Mount Moriah Baptist Church provided
by Mrs. Willa Dean Combs of Fredericktown, Missouri.
Page 112 Reserve for image
B. David Abraham Heltibrand was born August 26, 1880, in Madison County, Missouri, and died in St. Louis, Missouri, May 20, 1966. David was also married twice. His first marriage was to Minnie Jane White, daughter of Gideon T. and Sarah (Bess) White. Their children:
1. Gideon Taylor Heltibrand, born 1910.
2. Earle Kathryn Heltibrand, born 1911.
3. Rose Mary Heltibrand, born 1915.
4. Ollie Jane Heltibrand, born 1922.
C. George Aaron Heltibrand was born February 29, 1883, in Madison County and was married twice. His first marriage was to Alma Stacey who was born February 15, 1894, in Wright County, Missouri. Their children:
1. Lloyd Heltibrand, born 1914.
2. Alfred Heltibrand, born 1916.
D. Lulu Belle Heltibrand, born August 8, 1887.
E. Dewayn Isaac Heltibrand, born August 31, 1891.
2. Lulu Belle Heltibrand, fourth child of Lucretia and George, was born August 8, 1887, and died June 6, 1970, in Madison County, Missouri. She married Gilbert Otto Combs, son of John Hansford and Edna (Miller) Combs, November 6, 1912. Gilbert was born July 29, 1892, and died January 15, 1981, in Madison County. Lulu Belle and Gilbert had four children:
A. Evelyn Combs died in infancy ca. 1914.
B. Carl Eugene Combs, born 1916.
C. Audrey Maxine Combs, born 1919.
D. William Dewayne Combs, born 1921.
3. William D. Combs, fourth child of Lulu Belle and Gilbert Combs, was born 1921, in Olathe, Colorado. 1948, he married Willa Dean Reagan, daughter of James Emmett and Myrtle (Fulton) Reagan. Willa Dean was born 1930, in Bollinger County, Missouri. William and Willa have two daughters:
A. Karen Lee Combs was born 1950, in Ironton, Missouri. She married Gary Dale Gruhala 1970. Gary was born 1948. They have one child:
1. Jennifer Lynn Gruhala, born 1977.
B. Teri Lynn Combs was born 1961, at Fredericktown, Missouri. 1979, she married Alfred Charles Moss who was born 1959. They have three children:
1. Timothy James Moss, born 1983.
2. Allison Leann Moss, born 1987.
3. Andrew William Moss, born 1989.
The information on the descendants of Lucretia Norton was provided by Mrs. Willa Dean Combs of Rt. 2, Box 415 Fredericktown, Missouri (12/17/89). Mrs. Combs and her daughter, Teri Moss, have done extensive research on the family and would be interested in corresponding with other descendants of Aaron BRASWELL with the hopes of extending their line.
MARY ANN NORTON, DAUGHTER OF WILLIA DEWILMUTH PARLEE (BRASWELL) NORTON
1. Mary Ann Norton, daughter of Willia and Abraham, was born about 1856, Madison County, Missouri. She married Garrett Alexander Venerable who was born about 1858 (?). They had several children.
2. Harley Bass Venerable, one of the sons of Mary Ann and Garrett, was born in 1891. Harley married Presha Barks who was born 1917, in Marquand, Missouri.
3. Anna Fern Venerable, daughter of Harley and Presha, married Alford Frank Wamser 1940. Their children:
A. George Albert Wamser, born 1941.
B. Margaret Elizabeth Wamser, born 1944.
C. Deborah Anne Wamser, born 1950.
D. Alford Frank Wamser, born 1954.
The old Norton home place was sold in 1973. The graves of Aaron and Nancy BRASWELL are unmarked, but they rest upon the land that they loved and had given so much of themselves to.
Mrs. Alford Frank Wamser, Rt. 3, Box 52, Fredericktown, Missouri 63645, who is a descendant of Aaron BRASWELL, furnished part of this information. She is eager to contact other descendants of Aaron BRASWELL.
SOME DESCENDANTS OF VALENTINE BRASWELL, SR.
The following is based on information sent from Lt. General Arnold Braswell, U.S. Air Force (Retired).
1. Valentine BRASWELL, Sr., was probably born in the 1600's and was probably the son of a Richard BRACEWELL, and grandson of the Reverend Robert BRACEWELL of Isle of Wight County, Virginia. He apparently had the following sons and lived in Orange County, North Carolina (part of Orange County later became Chatham County):
A. Valentine BRASWELL, Jr., date and place of birth unknown, probably lived on the Cape Fear River on land adjoining his brothers, died in 1782 probably in Chatham County.
B. Richard BRASWELL, date and place of birth unknown, named Henry as his "loving brother" in his will. He died in 1761, assumably, inOrange/Chatham County.
C. Henry BRASWELL, date and place of birth unknown, died around 1784 in Chatham County, North Carolina.
2. Henry BRASWELL, date and place of birth unknown, died in late 1784 or early 1785. It is known that Henry had at least two brothers, Richard and Valentine, Jr., that identify Henry as a son of Valentine, Sr. In a document dated 1753, Richard is identified as a son of "Volentine" BRASWELL, Sr. and Richard named Henry in his will as his "loving brother". The brothers all lived near to or on adjoining property on the Cape Fear River. Henry married Sarah Blake and had two children, both of whom were very young at the time of their father's death.
A. Cynthia BRASWELL, born in Chatham County, year unknown.
B. Blake William BRASWELL, born around 1780, in Chatham County.
3. Blake William BRASWELL the son of Henry BRASWELL is believed to have been born in Chatham County, North Carolina, around 1780. Census reports show that he was living in Rockingham County, North Carolina, for the 1820 and 1840 enumerations. While in North Carolina during the 1830's he served in the State Legislature. He later moved to Mississippi where he appeared on the 1850 census report for Choctaw County. Though documentary proof is lacking, Lt. Gen. Arnold BRASWELL is confident that Blake is the father of Edward Reed BRASWELL. He has located an article in a 1978 issue of the Journal of the Rockingham County Genealogical Society which stated that Blake BRASWELL had come from Chatham County and, in 1804, married Mary Peeples, daughter of Hubbard Peeples.
4. Edward Reed BRASWELL was born October 28, 1806, in Rockingham County, North Carolina, and died March 15, 1872. In 1837, he married Catherine Robison who was born January 22, 1822, Hempstead County, Arkansas. He and his bride moved to Claiborne Parish, Louisiana. Catherine died January 31, 1893, and was buried in Simsboro, Louisiana. Their children:
A. Elizabeth M. BRASWELL, born June 13, 1838.
B. Blake W. BRASWELL, born February 3, 1840, died January 2, 1919.
C. Martha P. BRASWELL, born November 5, 1841.
D. Hubbard Peeples BRASWELL, born October 20, 1845, died 1867.
E. James A. BRASWELL, born 1843 and died 1846.
F. George Washington BRASWELL, born June 19, 1848, died 1914.
DESCENDANTS OF MARTHA P., DAUGHTER OF EDWARD REED BRASWELL
1. Martha P. BRASWELL, better known as Mattie, was born November 5, 1841, Vienna, Louisiana, and died about 1917 in Leinsburg, Red River Parish, Louisiana, and was probably buried there. Her first marriage was to Claiborne Madden October 20, 1859. They had one daughter:
A. Emma Claiborne, born July 31, 1860, died February 19, 1861, C.S.A.
Martha's second marriage was to F.L. Galloway June 28, 1873, in Ruston, Louisiana. He was born in Georgia in the 1830's or 1840's and died about 1885 in Louisiana. Their children:
A. Frank Galloway was born 1874 and died 1900 unmarried.
B. William Edward Galloway was born February 20, 1877.
2. William Edward Galloway was born February 20, 1877, in Ruston, Louisiana, and died July 1830 near Cove, Polk County, Arkansas. He married Carrie May Carstraphen September 18, 1910, Ruston, Louisiana. She was born July 17, 1892, Union Parish, near Downsville, Louisiana. They had ten children:
A. Blanche Louise Galloway was born 1912, Ruston, Louisiana, and married Jewel (Joby) Plunket who was born 1908, Baker Spring, Arkansas. Their five children:
1. Gary Plunket, born 1933, was married twice. By his first marriage to (?), he had one child:
a. James Leon Plunket, born 1958.
By his second marriage to Francis Sue Trimble, had two sons:
a. Gary Wayne Plunket, born 1962.
b. Terry Lynn Plunket, born 1973.
2. Johnny Norris Plunket was born Oct 1935, Cove, Arkansas. He married Mary Cardin.
3. Parsy Joan Plunket was born 1939, Plunkettville, Oklahoma. She married Jerry Willis. Their children:
a. Angela Willis, born 1954, Little Rock, Arkansas.
b. Steve Willis, born 1957, Little Rock, Arkansas.
c. Tammy Willis, born 1959, Little Rock, Arkansas.
4. Clinton Lee Plunket was born 1941, Cove, Arkansas. He married Vernell Mayhan. Their children:
a. Roy Lee Plunket, born 1966.
b. Dennie Ray Plunket, born 1968.
c. Danny Joe Plunket, born 1969.
d. Tony Plunket, born 1971.
e. Joby Lynn Plunket, born 1973.
5. Mary Ellen Plunket, born 1943, Cove, Arkansas. Her first marriage was to Tommy Neal Smith. Their daughter:
a. Lisa Marie Smith, born 1963.
Mary Ellen's second marriage was to James L. Lynch. Their daughter:
a. Carrie Michelle Lynch, born 1971.
B. Mattie Ruth Galloway was born 1913, Monroe, Louisiana. She married Charles Edwin Clark 1935. Their children:
1. Gary Edwin Clark 3. Ronald Gene Clark
2. Charles Wayne Clark 4. Donna Ruth Clark
C. Eunice Elaine Galloway was born 1915, Ruston, Louisiana. She married Joseph Marvin Gillham in 1933. Their children:
1. Donald Marvin Gillham 3. Barbara Ann Gillham
2. Harold Dean Gillham 4. Larry Gene Gillham
D. Ethel Galloway was born 1917, Lensburg. She married Joseph Wade Gammon in 1936. Their children:
1. Dathene Gammon
2. Edna Laverne Gammon
3. Gerald Edwin Gammon
E. Margaret Elizabeth Galloway was born 1918. She married Jesse David Philpot in 1936. Their child:
1. Helen Ruth Philpot was born 1939, Mena, Arkansas. Helen married William Head. Their children:
a. Steven Head
b. David Head
c. Katherine Head
F. Opal Galloway, born February 19, 1920, Lensburg, died January 5, 1921, Harmon, Louisiana.
G. William E. Galloway, Jr., was born 1923, Harmon, Louisiana, and married Edna Sue Sanders. Their son:
1. Thomas Edward Galloway was born 1952, Bartlesville, Oklahoma. He married Leigh Ann Gamble. Their daughter:
a. Kerrie Sue Galloway was born 1976.
H. Baby boy- died at birth 1925.
I. Roy Lovert Galloway, born 1925- lived only five days.
J. Frank Fremon Galloway was born 1938, McCurtain County, Oklahoma. He married Mary Jo Everett. They had two sons:
1. Danny Galloway, born 1953.
2. Dennis Galloway, born 1956.
The information on Martha P. BRASWELL was provided by her granddaughter Ruth Galloway Clark of Lee's Summit, Missouri.
GEORGE WASHINGTON BRASWELL, SON OF EDWARD REED BRASWELL
1. George Washington BRASWELL was born June 19, 1848, and died November 17, 1914. He married Nancy Eliza Williams September 9, 1868. Eliza was born January 15, 1850, and died April 12, 1912. Their children:
A. Hubbard Peeples BRASWELL, born June 25, 1869.
B. Claiborne BRASWELL, born April 15, 1871, and died October 5, 1891.
C. James Henry BRASWELL, born December 22, 1874.
D. Effie BRASWELL, born May 8, 1876.
HUBBARD PEEPLES BRASWELL, SON OF GEORGE WASHINGTON BRASWELL
1. Hubbard Peeples BRASWELL was born June 25, 1869, and died July 21, 1921, and is buried in Sibley, Louisiana. Hubbard wed Mavour Clements December 21, 1897. She died May 1966 and was buried in Minden, Louisiana. Their children:
A. Claiborne Lloyd BRASWELL, born August 24, 1898, and died November 9, 1955. He married Marguerite Walter 1924.
B. Loree BRASWELL was born Christmas Eve, 1900, and married Marion Hortman. Loree passed away in 1985.
C. Oma BRASWELL was born July 12, 1903, and married N.E. Dupont. She died in 1986.
D. Hubbard P. BRASWELL, Jr. was born in 1906 and died in 1948. He married Mary Dulaney and later changed his name to Herbert.
E. James Byron BRASWELL was born in 1908. His first marriage was to Bernice Mincher, and his second marriage was to Frances Odom. He died around 1965.
F. Mavour BRASWELL was born in 1911 and married first E.S. Holt and second Lon Little.
G. Myrtle BRASWELL was born in 1914 and married Robert J. Sivalls.
H. Marlin Talmadge BRASWELL was born in 1916 and married Pat Hilbun.
2. Claiborne Lloyd BRASWELL was born August 24, 1898, and died November 9, 1955. 1924, he married Marguerite Walter. Their children:
A. Arnold Webb BRASWELL was born 1925.
B. Claiborne Lloyd BRASWELL, Jr. was born 1927.
C. Donald BRASWELL was born 1929.
D. Judianne BRASWELL was born 1936.
3. Arnold Webb BRASWELL was born in Minden, Louisiana, 1925. Arnold received his B.S. degree from U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1948. After graduation, 1948 he married Ione Davis. Ione was born 1925, in Minden, Louisiana. He later returned to school and in 1967 received his M.B.A. degree from George Washington University. Arnold retired from the United States Air Force at the rank of Lieutenant General and is currently the President of Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute in Arlington, Virginia, and has been since 1984. The children of Arnold and Ione:
A. Lloyd Jefferson BRASWELL was born in San Antonio, Texas, on 1949. Lloyd received his B.A. degree from Princeton in 1970 and is working in San Francisco as a computer systems consultant. His first marriage was to Jessica Waterston in 1969 and they were divorced in 1983. Their child:
1. Ariel BRASWELL was born 1978, in San Francisco.
B. Sally Marguerite BRASWELL was born in Glendale, Arizona, on 1955. She earned her B.A. degree from Portland State University in 1980 and her M.A. degree in Voice from Northwestern University in 1982. She is currently a professional singer in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. In 1980, Sally married Eric Murphy in Astoria, Oregon. Sally and Eric's children:
1. Judy Ione Murphy was born 1986, Portland, Oregon.
2. Katherine Marguerite Murphy was born 1990, in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
The above information was provided by Arnold Braswell in 1989 and 1990.
JAMES HENRY BRASWELL, SON OF GEORGE WASHINGTON BRASWELL
1. James Henry BRASWELL was born December 22, 1874, and died July 21, 1937. He married Sallie Gullatt on December 28, 1893. Their son:
2. George W. BRASWELL was born 1902. He married Eula Kates.
EFFIE BRASWELL, DAUGHTER OF GEORGE WASHINGTON BRASWELL
1. Effie BRASWELL was born May 8, 1876, and married David Samuel Sims on October 8, 1896. Their children:
A. Sanders Miller Sims, born July 15, 1897, married Bernice G. Miller.
B. Millie Ethel Sims, born 1900, married Dool C. Connell.
C. Dorothy Louise Sims, married William Terass.
D. Maggie Sims, married Edward Lathrop Duzendorf.
Mrs. Loree Hortman, a descendant of Edward Reed BRASWELL, also contributed information on this line.
Arnold Braswell would like to correspond with anyone who has information on his Valentine BRASWELL, Sr. and other members of his line. His address as of 1990 was: 1537 Dahlia Court, McLean, Virginia 22101.
LINEAGE OF WAYNE BRASWELL
1. Thomas Millard BRASWELL was born May 1859 in Scotland. He and two brothers are believed to have come over together and landed in a southern port. One brother, Waverly, was supposed to have settled in Macon, Georgia. Thomas died 1898 and was buried in the Hampton Cemetery, south side of Crab Orchard Lake, Williamson County, Illinois. He married Florence Emily Hampton, born December 11, 1863, and died 1931, Williamson County. Their children:
A. Jeremiah Cleveland BRASWELL, born June 14, 1882, and died at about two years of age.
B. Ada Elizabeth BRASWELL was born October 14, 1883. She married twice but the name of her first husband was not given. Her second husband was Arthur Wilson. Their daughter:
1. Ruth Wilson is a music teacher in Metropolis, Illinois.
C. Miner Nelson BRASWELL was born July 29, 1886, and died 1965. He married Nettie Barnett late in life and had no children. He enlisted in the service April 5, 1918, and was attached to the U.S. Naval Band. December 13, 1919, he was discharged in New York City.
D. Lewis Wesley BRASWELL, born September 29, 1891.
E. Thomas Millard BRASWELL, Jr., born August 10, 1892. In 1918, he entered the service and was sent overseas 1919. He was attached to 131 M.F. Bn. He was discharged 1919, at Camp Grant, Illinois. He married Mabel (?) and had one son:
1. Tommy BRASWELL
2. Lewis Wesley BRASWELL, son of Thomas and Florence, was born 1891, Williamson County, Illinois. In 1922 he married Goldie May Dalton, born January 1890, Mound City, Illinois. Her parents were Jasper Newton and Mary Elizabeth (Arter) Dalton. Lewis died December 18, 1960, Cairo, Illinois.
3. Wayne BRASWELL, son of Lewis and Goldie, was born 1932, Mound City, Illinois. In 1960, he married Lillie Stonecipher who was born 1936, in Tamms, Illinois. They had two children:
A. Lela Anne BRASWELL, born 1965, Blue Island, Cook County, IL.
B. Wesley Allen BRASWELL, Jr. (?), born 1967, Blue Island, IL.
The address of Wayne BRASWELL in 1973 was 12806 California St., Blue Island, Illinois 60406. Mrs. Wayne BRASWELL stated that the information on Thomas Millard BRASWELL was copied from a bible.
SOME DESCENDANTS OF ZADOC BRASWELL
1. Zadoc BRASWELL- No personal data, married Sallie Howell, see page 179.
2. John BRASWELL, son of Zadoc, born August 1, 1801, Edgecombe County, died February 23, 1868. He was married to Elizabeth (see page 178) their children:
A. Mahala Jane Francis BRASWELL
B. Benjamin J.G. BRASWELL, born 1827 in Edgecombe County, North Carolina.
C. William Thomas BRASWELL, born February 12, 1828, and died 1910.
D. Catherine BRASWELL, born December 30, 1828.
E. Susan BRASWELL (daughter or granddaughter?), born 1843.
F. Bushrod BRASWELL (son or grandson?), born 1845.
G. Susan A.M. BRASWELL (daughter or granddaughter?), born 1847.
3. Benjamin BRASWELL was born 1827 in Edgecombe County, North Carolina. He married Mary Hargroves. Their children:
A. Henrietta BRASWELL, born 1851.
B. Josephine BRASWELL, born 1853 and died 1946.
C. California "Cal" BRASWELL
D. Nebraske "Black" BRASWELL
E. Annie BRASWELL
4. Josephine BRASWELL, daughter of Benjamin, married Thadeaus Williams.
5. Josephine and Thadeaus's child, name and information not given.
6. Leah ???, granddaughter of Josephine and Thadeaus, of Nashville, North Carolina, married a Manning.
Some of the BRASWELL men never returned to their homes after the Civil War, but settled in other parts of the country. There was a Benjamin BRASWELL who went to Texas about 1869 or 1870. He settled in Evergreen, Texas. In the Civil War, his leg was shot off. Aunt Sallie BRASWELL went to Texas soon after Benjamin and fell from a wagon and broker her leg just four miles from Evergreen.
Mrs. Leah Manning furnished this information, her home is in Nashville, North Carolina.
HISTORY OF LILLIE MAE (BRASWELL) BRATTON
1. Samuel BRASWELL who settled in Dry Creek, DeKalb County, Tennessee, in the early 1800's, had a large holding of land. Either he was married twice or his wife was married twice as there was a son Bill who was called half brother by Milton BRASWELL. It is possible that his wife's name was Polly but more research needs to be done. Samuel died before 1887 and was probably buried on his own farm on Dry Creek. In the early days it was customary to bury on the land they loved so much and had given so much of themselves to. The children we have knowledge of:
A. Milton BRASWELL E. Jane, who married H. Craddock
B. Lee BRASWELL F. Elizabeth, married J. Craddock
C. Doll BRASWELL G. Lemuel BRASWELL
D. Abram BRASWELL H. Bill, 1/2 brother, went to Texas
2. Milton BRASWELL was born March 15, 1845, and died 1919, he was buried in the old Salem Baptist Cemetery, Liberty, Tennessee. Milton married Amanda Kerley who was born about 1850 and died 1944. Milton and Amanda were early settlers of DeKalb County, Tennessee. Their children:
A. James Sidney BRASWELL F. Lollie BRASWELL
B. Nina Susan BRASWELL G. Lillie Mae BRASWELL
C. Ada Jane BRASWELL H. Lilia BRASWELL
D. Mary BRASWELL I. Vestal BRASWELL
E. Daisy BRASWELL
(The 1880 DeKalb County, Tennessee Census shows the older of the children given as James S. 13; Minie S. 11; Ada J. 7; Mary V. 11 months. This must be the family of Milton as the ages agree as well as the name of his wife- Amanda.)
3. Lillie Mae BRASWELL was born 1887 in DeKalb County, Tennessee. She married William Thomas Bratton 1906. They have a lovely home in Liberty, Tennessee. Here, surrounded by fond memories and familiar faces and places, they spend their golden years. In 1973, they celebrated their sixty-seventh wedding anniversary. Their children:
A. William Howard Bratton
B. Grace Ann Bratton
4. Grace Ann Bratton married (?) Medley. She made her home with her parents and was, at that time (1973), the local post mistress.
The old Salem Baptist Church was founded in 1809, Liberty, Tennessee. It is the mother church of all the Baptist churches in that area. It is a lovely old dark red brick with a silver dome. On the north of the church is an old cemetery that is well kept and still in use. There are many old grave markers that time and weather have worn the inscriptions away, but they still represent the love and care that was once given them. Large oaks stand in the front churchyard and the parsonage is near by. Samuel BRASWELL united with this church about 1832 and Polly BRASWELL about 1843.
Richard BRAZEL was born about 1800 in Tennessee. He died after 1870 in Fayette County, Illinois. (This information was taken from Federal Census 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, and 1860.) In 1870 Richard BRAZEL aged seventy was enumerated in the poor house. On the 1850 Census his wife was shown to be Judiceal, who was born in Kentucky about 1801. They had the following children:
A. Lucy BRAZEL married Paul Wagner.
B. Jane BRAZEL, born August 6, 1820, Fayette County, Illinois. She married Thomas Holman January 21, 1839, and apparently died ten months later on November 1, 1839 (she would have been nineteen years old and death possibly was a result of childbirth- see below).
C. Ann BRAZEL married Hardy Holman March 12, 1839.
D. Rebecca BRAZEL married James Ammerman December 28, 1848.
E. Nancy BRAZEL married Joseph Myers August 23, 1847.
F. Elvira BRAZEL was born 1833.
G. Eveline BRAZEL, Union Veteran, born 1836- married Mary M. Jackson.
H. Angeline BRAZEL was born 1837.
I. Ninan BRAZEL was born 1840.
J. Martha BRAZEL was born 1843 and married Charles Fulks.
These names and dates were sent by a great-granddaughter of Richard BRAZEL and granddaughter of Jane (BRAZEL) Holman. At the age of ninety, she was still living in Beecher City, Illinois.
Mrs. Robert Harshaw sent the following information:
The 1830 Federal Census of Fayette County, Illinois, page 244, line 28-
Richard BRAZILL- 1 male 30-40; 2 females under 5; 1 female aged 5-10 1 female aged 20-39.
The 1835 Census of Illinois State, County Fayette, page 11, line 8-
Richard BRAZEL- 5 males, 2 under 10; 2 aged 10-20; 1 aged 30-40. 4 females, 2 under 10; 1 aged 10-20; 1 aged 30-40.
The 1850 Federal Census enumerated August 30, 1850, page 390A; lines 31-37-
Richard BRASWELL- age fifty, male- farmer Tennessee
Judiceal BRASWELL- age 49, female Kentucky
Elvira BRASWELL- age 17 years Illinois
Angeline BRASWELL- age 13 years Illinois
Evenline BRASWELL- age 12 years Illinois
Ninian E. BRASWELL- age 10 years Illinois
Martha BRASWELL- age 7 years Illinois
The 1855 State Census, Fayette County, Illinois, page 11-
Richard BRASWELL 2 males 10-20; 1 male 50-60. 1 female under 10 2 females 10-20; 1 female 20-30; 1 female 40-50. Total- 8.
The 1860 Federal Census Fayette County, Illinois, page 283-
R. BRASWELL age 60, in Tennessee; L (?) age 60 born Kentucky. (This was barely readable and all could not be 3 children alive 1860. There is a James BRAZEL in county, too.)
VALENTINE BRAZEL (FROM THE HISTORY OF FAYETTE COUNTY, ILLINOIS)
Valentine BRAZEL (brother of Richard BRAZEL listed above???) and his family, with their friend the noted Indian fighter and hunter (?), were the first settlers of Ramsey Township. They settled on Section 34 and built a log cabin on Ramsey Creek, which was the first to be erected in what is now known as Ramsey Township. Following them were Z.F. Watwood, who came in 1817; John Hall; Joseph Hall; a Mr. Ramsey; and Jeremiah Riley. In 1820 Isaac Anderson, Charles Radcliff, Zadoc Blankenship, A. Chandler, E. Pierce, and William James located there. The first schoolhouse was a small log building and was built on Section 35.
The first marriage here was between W.F. Watwood and Charity Hinds in 1820, and the first birth was that of Robert BRAZEL, son of Valentine about 1818.
The following is a copy of military record received from the National Archives.
Private VALENTINE BRAZEL served with Captain Jacob Short's Company of U.S. Mounted Rangers May 16, 1814 to May 15, 1815. He received $1.00 a day for a total pay of $365.00. He appears on the Company Muster Rolls as follows:
Valentine BRAZEL- May 15 to June 20, 1814, at Camp Lively.
Valentine BRAZEL- June 20 to August 31, 1814, at Camp Lively, absent- on command.
Valentine BRAZEL- August 31 to October 31, 1814, at Camp Middleton, absent- on command.
Valentine BRAZEL- December 31, 1814, to February 28, 1815, at Camp Middleton, absent- sick.
Valentine BRAZEL- February 28, 1815, to May 15, 1815, at Camp Russell, present.
LINEAGE OF BOBBY BRAZIL OF PAMPA, TEXAS
1. Moses BRAZIL was perhaps born in Arkansas about 1870. His wife was Laura McCormick. He was a generous and religious man who gave land to the Harmony Baptist Church. Their children:
A. Ress BRAZIL E. Etta (BRAZIL) Oliver
B. Eva (BRAZIL) Evans F. Margaret BRAZIL
C. Lillian (BRAZIL) Drake G. Hugh BRAZIL
D. Gladys (BRAZIL) Turner
2. Hugh BRAZIL was born January 3, 1901, and died 1951 and was buried in the Harmony Baptist Church Cemetery. He married Bess Harrison. The children of Hugh and Bess:
A. Margaret BRAZIL, born 1927 C. Bobby BRAZIL, born 1931- adopted
B. Martha BRAZIL, born 1929
3. Bobby BRAZIL (parents undeterminable) was born 1931, Dardenell, Arkansas. He was adopted by his Uncle Hugh BRAZIL. In 1956, he married Bonnie Defoor. She was the daughter of Bruce and Alice (Riley) Defoor, of Hollis, Oklahoma. Their child:
A. Pamela Jo BRAZIL was born 1957, in Pampa, Texas.
The preceding information was provided by Bobby BRAZIL of 711 Bradley Street, Pampa, Texas.
LINEAGE OF POLLY BRAZIL
1. George Washington BRAZIL was born June 20, 1815, in Georgia. He died August 22, 1899, Fayette County, Alabama. He married Nancy Berry who was born May 15, 1825, Georgia (?). She died November 26, 1906, Fayette County, Alabama. Their children:
A. Sarah Elizabeth BRAZIL was born March 9, 1846, Alabama. She married Robert Pickle September 23, 1866, C.S.A. She died September 1, 1923, and was buried in the Hopewell Cemetery in Fayette County.
B. Hannah C. (or G.) BRAZIL was born 1849, Alabama. She married James Bailey October 27, 1872. She died July 10, 1908, and was buried in the Hopewell Cemetery, Fayette County.
C. Isabelle Callie BRAZIL was born about 1852, Fayette County. She married James Edward Gurthrie March 8, 1873.
D. Rufus BRAZIL was born 1854, Fayette County. On the 1870 Census he was listed as sixteen years of age. He died young.
E. Mary Snow BRAZIL was born 1856, Fayette County. Her first marriage was to Columbus Romine. Her second marriage was to Samuel Clark. She died 1917 and was buried in Townley County, Alabama.
F. James Samuel BRAZIL was born December 28, 1859, Fayette County. He married Mollie Bell House, Christmas Eve, 1893. She died 1919 and was buried in Monroe, Mississippi.
G. Basheba Suvannah BRAZIL was born 1866, Fayette County, Alabama, C.S.A. She married Lewis N. Whitley. She was buried in the Friendship Baptist Cemetery, Fayette County.
H. F. Rody BRAZIL was born September 19, 1869, Fayette County. He married Martha Pasley 1905. Rody died March 12, 1946. He was buried in the Hopewell Cemetery.
I. Eldridge Guthrie BRAZIL was born March 20, 1875, Fayette County, Alabama.
2. Eldridge Guthrie BRAZIL was born March 20, 1875, Fayette County, Alabama. December 23, 1903, he married Ica Myrtle Evans, who was born August 19, 1886, Hill County, Texas, and died June 13, 1945, Nolan County, Texas. Eldridge died August 22, 1950, Nolan County. Their children:
A. Polly BRAZIL F. Charles Lee BRAZIL
B. Willie BRAZIL G. Marion Eldridge BRAZIL
C. Lula Mae BRAZIL H. Minnie Kathleen BRAZIL
D. Jessie Marie BRAZIL I. George Herman BRAZIL
E. Myrtle Elene BRAZIL
3. Polly BRAZIL was born 1917, Nolan County, Texas.
Polly's home is 1706 Pease Street, Sweetwater, Texas. She would be happy to correspond with anyone of her line.
FAMILY HISTORY OF JANE BRAZZLE
Source of information: marriage recorded in Vandalia, Fayette County, Illinois. Place of burial- Bob Doan Cemetery, near Beecher City, Illinois. 1830 Census of Fayette County, lists Richard BRAZZLE and James BRAZZLE as heads of households. Richard BRAZZLE lists a female child of comparable age of Jane (see page 120 and 121?). 1880 Census of Fayette County, Louden Twp, page 1 with Thomas Holman as head of household- wife Jane [may be second wife as the information given us, shows Jane (BRAZEL) Holman died in 1839] lists her father as being born in Tennessee and her mother from Kentucky.
The following information was given by living descendants who still reside in that area.
That Richard BRAZZLE, who was the father of Jane BRAZZLE, was justice of the court in Fayette County, Illinois. That Richard BRAZZLE eloped with (Thomas?) Roberts. Nine children were born to them. That Roberts was brought up by her Grandmother, Dycie Roberts, who was well off materially. This Grandmother was buried in Nathan Holme's orchard. She must have, in later years, come to reside with her grandmother. That Richard BRAZZLE served in the Mexican War. That Richard BRAZZLE had a brother James BRAZZLE or BRAZIEL.
This information copied from notes made at Brownstone, Illinois in 1970.
James BRAZZLE- civil clerk, Vandalia, Illinois. Paper states that he died on or about January 2, 1852. Wife not living and no children under eighteen. Two sons, Valentine and Benjamin BRAZZLE, both under twenty-one. Daughter Cloey BRAZZLE- wife of Thomas Turner.
Old Liberty Cemetery, Brownstone, Fayette County, Illinois is an old cemetery on a hillside. Some of the headstones:
Valentine BRAZZLE- born 1831, died October 7, 1875. Private Company B., Illinois Cavalry.
James W. BRAZZLE- born December 6, 1853.
Andrew W. BRAZZLE- born December 27, 1861.
Thomas W. BRAZZLE- born 1863
George W. BRAZZLE- born 1866 and died September 1888
Joseph BRAZZLE- born 1869
Bethany Cemetery- Sefton
Mary Susan BRAZZLE (daughter of A.M. Sefton) wife of Valentine BRAZZLE (m. January 3, 1853) Born 1839, died February 1912.
Benjamin J. BRAZZLE- born September 1860, died February 1902.
Laura Biadie BRAZZLE- wife of Benjamin BRAZZLE
Sadie E. BRAZZLE- born 1890, died July 9, 1898.
Thomas V. BRAZZLE- born 1891, died 1902.
Cloey Turner (sister of Valentine BRAZZLE) Wife of Thomas Turner, died April 1854, age 21.
CALLIE FAYE (KIRKLAND) BRYAN
1. Blainey BRASWELL, born 1791 in North Carolina, married Alice. Their children:
A. Maranda, born 1815 F. Jesse, born 1822
B. James W., born 1/04/1819 G. Charles
C. Maruah, born 1/17/1829 H. Burrell
D. Malinda I. Missouri
2. James W. BRASWELL, born January 4, 1819, Jones County, Georgia, died December 20, 1893. He married Mary Ann Thomas, June 11, 1846. She was born February 18, 1829, North Carolina. The children of James and Mary Ann:
A. Camilla H., born May 13, 1848, Pike County, Alabama, married Joseph Sellers.
B. Blaney T., born May 7, 1850, Pike County, Alabama, and married Jennifer Trelmon.
C. George W., born November 27, 1852, and married Anna Powell.
D. Alice H., born November 17, 1854, Pike County.
E. Lavonia C., born September 14, 1857, and married William Hixon on December 8, 1880.
F. Matilda C., born September 25, 1861, C.S.A., and married L. Brabham.
G. William I., born July 24, 1864, C.S.A.
H. Lahmon J., born September 3, 1868, and married Spencer Yarborough.
I. Mary, born April 26, 1871, married J.D. Vincent December 9, 1891.
3. Lahmon Judson BRASWELL, born September 3, 1868, Perote, Bullock County, Alabama. He married Spencer Jane Yarborough on Christmas Eve, 1896, Geneva, Alabama. He died May 28, 1931, and was buried Midway Cemetery, Homes County, Alabama. Spencer was born June 18, 1868, and died August 10, 1963, Geneva. Their children:
A. James Yarborough, born November 4, 1897.
B. Ouida, born February 1, 1899, Geneva. She married Will Scott 1936.
C. Robert Wiley, born 1902, Holmes County, Florida. He married Clarice Elizabeth Leak 1946.
D. Clara Judson, born 1907, Geneva, Alabama. She married Orge Hampton Brown.
4. James Yarborough BRASWELL was born November 4, 1897, Perote, Alabama. In 1922?, he married his first wife Josephine Lula Howell who was born in Limestone Community near Darlington, Florida. She was the daughter of Joe Tom and Levenia (Commander) Howell. Their children:
A. James Lahmon, born 1923, Holmes County, Florida. He married Mary Lou Holcomb on 1957.
B. Columbus Houston, born 1925, Geneva County, Alabama. He married Betty Boneil Willis 1976.
C. Rosa Etta, born 1928, Freeport, Florida. She married Andrew Lee (Pete) Paige.
James Yarborough's second marriage was to Rosa Curry who was born January 31, 1903, and died June 1, 1982, Freeport, Florida, and was buried in Mt. Ida Cemetery, Holmes County, Florida. The children of this marriage:
A. Dorothy Jean, born 1934, Geneva, Alabama. She married Holland Rex Vaughn 1954.
B. Betty Jo, born 1935, Geneva.
C. Oneida, born 19__ and married Robert Eugene Gentry.
D. Charles Yarborough, 19__, Geneva and married Judy Caron Huggins 1966.
5. Betty Jo BRASWELL was born 1935, Geneva, Geneva County, Florida. She married Franklin Lavoy Kirkland 1953, Geneva, Alabama. His parents were Franklin Posey and Callie Viola (Prescott) Kirkland. Betty Jo and Franklin had four children:
A. Callie Faye Kirkland, born 1955, *Lake Wales, Polk County, Florida.
B. Rhonda Jo, born 1956, Geneva, Alabama. She married David Lloyd Stone 1978.
C. Mary Janet, born 1957, Perry, Florida. She married David Wayne McCormick 1977.
D. Randy Lavoy, born 1978, Geneva, Alabama.
6. Callie Faye Kirkland was born 1955, *Dothan, Houston County, Alabama. In 1973, she married Jimmie Bryan who was born 1953, Enterprise, Alabama. His parents were Marvin and Louvie Lee (Thompson) Bryan. As of 1979, Faye and Jimmie had two children (twins):
A. Calvin Lavoy, born 1976, Dothan, Alabama.
B. Callie Deanna, also born 1976 in Dothan.
* This record was consolidated from information sent by Jimmie Bryan and Rhonda Jo Stone- unknown which is correct place of birth for Callie Faye.
LINEAGE OF JAMES WARREN CRAIN
1. George W. (Phillip) BRAZEL whose home was in Union County, Illinois. His children:
A. Olive BRAZEL C. William BRAZEL
B. Israel BRAZEL
2. Olive BRAZEL was born May 12, 1863, Union County and died April 12, 1944. She married Israel J. Settlemoir, born August 26, 1858, also in Union County.
3. Harry Settlemoir was born October 18, 1882, Union County, Illinois. He married Ruth Gaunt on December 21, 1904. Ruth was born August 22, 1885.
4. Alline Settlemoir, daughter of Harry and Ruth, was born 1905, Saline County, Illinois. She married Joseph Milton Crain.
5. James Warren Crain, son of Alline and Joseph, was born 1933, Alexander County, Illinois. 1953, he married Carolyn Ann Luton. James graduated from the University of Illinois and was a corporation president. The sons of James and Carolyn:
A. Stephen Bryan Crain, who graduated from the Missouri Military Academy.
B. Jeffrey Alan Crain, who also graduated from the Missouri Military Academy.
James Warren Crain was living in Mounds, Illinois, in 1977, at that time his address was Route 1, Box 102, Mounds, Illinois.
LINEAGE OF PATRICIA (VINSON) HOFFPAUIR
1. John Hutchins, born 1738 and died 1825, married Jane BRASWELL in 1792. His parents were Strangeman and Elizabeth (Cox) Hutchins.
2. Quintillo Hutchins, daughter of John and Jane, was born February 13, 1801, Surry County, North Carolina, and died January 10, 1886, in Indiana. On July 1, 1814, she married George Brandon, who was born February 6, 1792, in North Carolina and died May 8, 1844, Green County, Indiana.
3. Elizabeth Brandon, daughter of Quintillo and George, was born August 5, 1817, North Carolina, and died October 19, 1880. She married William Payne, born 1800 in North Carolina, and died 1870. They were married September 11, 1838.
4. Martha Ann Payne, daughter of Elizabeth and William, married David Howell, born 1831, Green County, Indiana, and died April 7, 1906, Snyder, Oklahoma. There are no statistics on Martha Ann at this time.
5. Nancy Ellen Howell, daughter of Martha Ann and David, was born April 11, 1875 (?), Koleen, Indiana, and died March 7, 1938, Valley Mills, Indiana. Nancy married Victor V. Vinson, born July 28, 1868, Lawrenceburg, Indiana, and died February 23, 1949, Hazard, Kentucky.
6. James Glarden Vinson, son of Nancy and Victor, was born 1918, Kentucky and married Carlisle Sheegog on 1939.
7. Patricia Ann Vinson, daughter of James and Carlisle, was born 1940, Hazard, Kentucky. She married Robert R. Hoffpauir 1959.
In 1980, the home of Patricia Hoffpauir was Jennings, Louisiana.
LINEAGE OF ELVIRA JANE (BREEZEEL) LEWIS
Often, in the old days, names were spelled phonetically and this could possibly account for the different spellings in this record.
1. Henry BRASHALL/BRASSALL born about 1620 in Virginia.
2. Henry BRAZEEL, born about 1651 in Virginia.
3. Henry BREAZEALE, born about 1681 in Virginia.
4. Willis BREAZEALE, son of Henry, was born about 1712 in either Abberville, South Carolina, or Virginia. His first marriage was to Sarah Wood. His second marriage was to Sarah (?). More information is needed to decided which is the mother of this line. Willis's children:
A. Benjamin Franklin BREAZEALE C. Archibald BREAZEALE
B. George Washington BREAZEALE D. Kindred BREAZEALE
5. George Washington BREAZEALE, born 1780 in Abberville, South Carolina. About 1820 he married Unity Dickerson Trice, the daughter of James and Mary Polly (Smith) Trice. Unity was probably born in Virginia or North Carolina and she died before 1836.
6. Willis Washington BREEZEEL (changed spelling of his name to BREEZEEL) was born 1823, Wayne County, Tennessee, and died July 1897. He married Nancy Shemwell. Nancy was born February 28, 1843, and died 1893 and was buried in the Ford Cemetery, Marshall County, Kentucky.
7. George Milas BREEZEEL was born October 6, 1862, Marshall County, Kentucky, and died January 31, 1911, Marshall County and was buried in the Ford Cemetery near Benton, Kentucky. He married Martha Jane Hendrickson, the daughter of James Monroe and Celia Ann (Smith) Hendrickson. She was born February 11, 1869, in Marshall County and died April 27, 1911, Marshall County.
8. John McCoy BREEZEEL was born 1900, in Marshall County, Kentucky. He married Thelma Elvira Peters on 1925. Thelma was born in McCracken County, Kentucky. Their daughter:
9. Elvira Jane BREEZEEL, born 1926, married Charles Edward Lewis 1951. Their children:
A. John Jeffrey Lewis, born 1951. He married Anna Mae Kollman 1977.
B. Martha Elvira Lewis, born 1954, and married Douglas D. Turner on 1975.
This lineage was compiled from information provided by Mrs. John McCoy BREEZEEL of Benton, Kentucky, 1978, and Mrs. Charles Lewis of Benton, Kentucky.
LINEAGE OF DONNA JANE (BRASWELL) MUSSATE
1. Dr. John BRASWELL was born September 28, 1825, and died October 21, 1893, Paris, Tennessee. He married Mary Macon Hamilton who was born 1835 and died 1902 and was buried in the Hamlin Cemetery, Concord, Kentucky. Her parents were Peter S. and Virginia Hamlin. (See page 56)
2. Charles Edward BRASWELL, son of John and Mary, was born February 4, 1863, Calloway County, Kentucky, or Paris, Tennessee, and died 1931 Kuttawa, Kentucky. He married Flora Smith who was born November 7, 1871, Calloway County and died August 6, 1960, Kuttawa County.
3. Charles Edward BRASWELL, Jr., son of Charles and Flora, was born 1901, Eddyville, Kentucky. 1937 he married Nora Lee Pearl Fredonin who was born 1916, Cadez, Kentucky. Their children:
A. Donna Jane BRASWELL, born 1941, Oak Park, Illinois.
B. Charlotte Nora BRASWELL, born 1945, Cicero, Illinois.
4. Donna Jane BRASWELL, daughter of Charles and Nora, was born 1941, Oak Park, Illinois. She married Raymond F. Mussate on 1968. He was born 1943, Chicago, Illinois. Their children:
A. Michael William Mussate, born 1964.
B. Mark Robert Mussate, born 1971, Harvey, Illinois.
Donna and Raymond Mussate's home was in San Rafael, California in 1976.
UPDATE: Connection found, see SECTION II, page 56.
LINEAGE OF ETHEL LOUISE (BRASWELL) OZMAR
1. Jesse P. BRASWELL was born in Edgecombe County, North Carolina, and married Lucinda Moore, who was born in North Carolina and died March 5, 1911, in Emporia, Virginia.
2. Jesse Thomas BRASWELL was born June 14, 1860, North Carolina, and died June 15, 1927, in Emporia, Virginia. He married Rebecca Vick on December 20, 1882. Rebecca was born June 4, 1863, in North Carolina, C.S.A., and died March 6, 1946, in Emporia. Her parents were Goven A. and Sarah (Bradley) Vick. The children of Jesse and Rebecca:
A. Thomas H. BRASWELL, born May 18, 1884.
B. Carrie BRASWELL, born October 12, 1886, and married a Mr. Bailey.
C. James M. BRASWELL, born October 17, 1888.
D. William Govan BRASWELL, born June 2, 1892.
E. Rufus W. BRASWELL, born January 10, 1896.
F. Robert T. BRASWELL, born August 11, 1899.
G. Minnie L. BRASWELL, born 1902.
H. Virginia Mae BRASWELL, born 1904.
I. Mabel BRASWELL, born 1907, and married a Mr. Harris.
3. William Govan BRASWELL was born June 2, 1892, Portsmouth, Virginia, and died June 23, 1976, in Petersburg, Virginia. He married Martha Schisler April 16, 1918. She was born October 16, 1896, in Coles, Illinois, and died September 17, 1975, in Richmond. She was the daughter of Frederick Alvatt and Rebecca (Squibb) Schisler. The children of William and Martha:
A. William Lawrence BRASWELL, born 1919.
B. Harrison BRASWELL- in 1980 was living in Brunswick Co., Virginia.
C. Raymond Edward BRASWELL, born 1921.
D. Stuart BRASWELL, born 1923(?).
E. Ethel Louise BRASWELL, born 1923.
F. Kathleen BRASWELL, born 1926.
G. Martha BRASWELL, born 1933.
H. Betty BRASWELL, born 1938, and married Bernard Jackson.
4. Ethel Louise BRASWELL was born 1923, Lawrenceville, Virginia. She married Preston Bell Ozmar 1945. Preston was born 1921, in Richmond, Virginia. Their children:
A. Preston Bell Ozmar, Jr. was born 1946, Richmond, Virginia. 1969, he married Judy Ann Hubbard.
B. Linda Ellen Ozmar was born 1949, in Richmond. She married George Jackson Vaughn, Jr. 1966.
C. Connie Lynn Ozmar was born 1956, in Lawrenceville, Virginia. She married Robert Henry Haab 1976.
In 1980 the home of Ethel Ozmar was Lawrenceville, Virginia.
LINEAGE OF MARTHA (BRASWELL) PAMPOLINA
1. Robert BRASWELL, born in Georgia 1812, married Delilah Hammond about 1835. She was born 1813 in Alabama. Their children:
A. Andrew, born 1837 E. Malevia, born 1845
B. Nick, born 1839 F. Albert, born 1847
C. Amanda, born 1841 G. Margaret, born 1849
D. Hancock, born 1843
2. Andrew BRASWELL, born 1837, Alabama, and died Lufkin, Texas. He married Matilda Turner about 1865, C.S.A. Their children:
A. Charles, born 1866, C.S.A. D. Sarah, born 1872
B. Frances, born 1867, C.S.A. E. Harry, born 1873
C. Louis T., born 1869, C.S.A. F. Florentine, born 1874
3. Louis Turner BRASWELL, born August 26, 1869, Polk County, Texas, Confederate States of America, and died October 3, 1921, Jasper, Texas. He married Essie Frazier Shine December 23, 1894. She was born September 28, 1875, Butler County, Alabama, and died August 18, 1954, Jasper, Texas. Their children:
A. Carrie Mason, born 1895 B. Kern Louis, born 1897
C. Simon August, born 1900 G. Louis Turner, born 1910
D. Frank Bonner, born 1903 H. Billie, born 1913
E. Willie Mae, born 1906 I. Marion, born 1916
F. Ida Elizabeth, born 1908
4. Kern L. BRASWELL was born September 14, 1897, Polk County, Texas, and died August 19, 1961, Jasper, Texas. He married Ethel Orton September 28, 1919. Ethel was born November 8, 1896, and died December 9, 1966, Beaumont, Texas. Their children:
A. James, born 1920 C. August Kern, born 1928
B. Robert, born 1922
5. James Louis BRASWELL was born 1920, Jasper, Texas, and married Neva Lee Howell 1942. Neva was born 1919, Denton, Texas. Her father was Joseph T. Howell. Their children:
A. Martha, born 1944 C. Linda, born 1950 (twin?)
B. Jean, born 1950 (twin?)
6. Martha BRASWELL was born 1944, Jasper, Texas. She married Peter Pampolina 1964. Their children:
A. Michael Pampolina, born 1965
B. Kalyn Pampolina, born 1967
In 1979 the home of Martha (BRASWELL) Pampolina was in Redding, Connecticut.
LINEAGE OF CHARLOTTE (BOONE) PERRY
1. Isaac BRASWELL- no data.
2. Thomas Jefferson BRASWELL was born May 27, 1820, in Edgecombe County, North Carolina, and died in Nash County, North Carolina. His wife was Elizabeth "Betsy" Robbins who was born in Edgecombe County.
3. Isaac Cromwell BRASWELL was born May 27, 1855, in Edgecombe County, North Carolina, and died June 21, 1932, in Nash County, North Carolina. He married Martha Elizabeth Inscoe, the daughter of William and Susan (Stallings) Inscoe, on October 9, 1883. Martha was born August 23, 1866, Franklin County, North Carolina, C.S.A., and died February 3, 1952, Wake County, North Carolina.
4. Mildred Marie BRASWELL was born 1901, in Nash County, North Carolina, and married William Spencer Boone on 1924. William was born 1902, in Franklin County, North Carolina, and was the son of Spencer Herbert and Martha Long Nicholson (King) Boone. The children of Mildred and William:
A. Charlotte Marie Boone C. Ann Danie Boone married Mr. Ray.
B. Martha Cromwell Boone
5. Charlotte Boone was born 1926, in Franklin County, North Carolina. Her first marriage was to James A. Jennings. Their children:
A. James Allen Jennings, Jr. C. Martha Sills Jennings
B. Elizabeth Hillman Jennings
After the death of James, Charlotte married George G. Perry, Jr. who was born 1915, Bladen County, North Carolina. They had one son:
A. George Graham Perry III
In 1980 Charlotte Perry's home was in Nashville, Tennessee.
WILLA LAURIE (THOMAS) SORENSON
1. Richard BRACEWELL, born 1740, North Carolina. He married Agnes Proctor.
2. Richard BRACEWELL who was born 1768, North Carolina and died September 3, 1818, Laurens County, Georgia. About 1793 he married Charity Roda Scarbrough.
3. William BRACEWELL, born October 13, 1801, Laurens County, Georgia, and died in Dale County, Alabama. On January 24, 1819, he married Elizabeth Stephens who was born October 6, 1800, and died December 31, 1862, Dale County, Alabama, Confederate States of America (see page 169).
4. Artimacie BRACEWELL was born November 4, 1828, Laurens County, Georgia, and died February 19, 1906, Marlin, Texas. She married Stephen Franklin Barnes, born April 15, 1825, South Carolina, and died June 14, 1906, Marlin.
5. William Riley Barnes, son of Artimacie and Stephen, was born May 23, 1846, Dale County, Alabama, and died February 24, 1918, Madisonville, Texas. He married Sarah Jane Brigman May 10, 1867, C.S.A.
6. William Oscar Barnes was born March 1, 1870, Pensacola, Florida. On December 7, 1891, he married Ella Sarah Hearn, who was born November 21, 1869, Corpus Christi, Texas. Ella passed away January 6, 1943 in Mesa, Arizona, and William followed her January 7, 1943, in Phoenix, Arizona.
7. Ethel Mae Barnes was born November 8, 1896, Corpus Christi, Texas. She married Charles Lawrence Sparks, born February 23, 1894, Mathis, Texas, and died September 13, 1976. They were married 1919.
8. Frances Laurine Sparks was born 1920, Tempe, Arizona. She married Wilson Alonzo Thomas who was born 1915, Scipio, Oklahoma. They were married 1939. Their children:
A. Willa Thomas, born 1940.
B. Alice Lynnette Thomas, born 1942.
C. Joyce Ellen Thomas, born 1943.
9. Willa Laurie Thomas was born 1940, Phoenix, Arizona, and in 1962, married David Wendell Sorenson. They have two children:
A. Tor Steven Sorenson, born 1966.
B. Tait Thomas Sorenson, born 1968.
LINEAGE OF WILLIAM EDWARD TARVIN
1. Daniel BRAZIEL of 1812- no further data at this time.
2. Aaron BRAZIEL of 1824?- no further data at this time.
3. Joseph Hutchinson BRAZIL (changed spelling to BRAZIL) who was born March 7, 1846. He married
Rachael Rainey who was born February 16, 1846, and died April 12, 1896. Their children:
A. Arizona BRAZIL, born August 12, 1866.
B. Callie BRAZIL, born February 22, 1868.
C. Nanny BRAZIL, born October 9, 1869.
D. Amanda BRAZIL, born February 17, 1871.
E. Minnie Docia BRAZIL, born February 17, 1873, Perry County, Arkansas.
F. Mary Idler BRAZIL, born April 2, 1876.
G. William Cullen BRAZIL, born December 11, 1876.
H. Oscar BRAZIL, born April 7, 1878.
I. Dora Marie BRAZIL, born February 17, 1880.
J. Christina A. BRAZIL, born May 22, 1881.
K. A. Clara BRAZIL, born May 22, 1882.
L. Elijah BRAZIL, born September 30, 1884.
M. Hollie BRAZIL, born January 30, 1886
N. Doxtor BRAZIL, born June 3, 1887 or 1888.
O. Adah BRAZIL, born June 11, 1889.
4. Minnie Docia BRAZIL was born February 17, 1873, Perry County, Arkansas, and died December 24, 1945, Okmulgee, Oklahoma. She married Edward A. Tarvin, born September 25, 1871, Calhoun County, Arkansas, and died September 24, 1913, Perry County, Arkansas, and was buried in the Harmony Cemetery, Perry County. They were married in February 1892.
5. William Cullen Tarvin, born February 19, 1902, Perry County, Arkansas, and died December 1976, Little Rock, Arkansas. In October 1920, he married Grace Marie Dry who was born 1902, Perry County and died 1973, Little Rock, Arkansas. She was the daughter of William and Alma Beatrice (Williamson) Dry. The children of William and Grace:
A. William Edward Tarvin, born 1921.
B. Floyd Jean Palmer Tarvin, born February 1924 and died March 1974.
C. Don Edison Tarvin, born 1931.
6. William Edward Tarvin was born 1921, Okmulgee, Oklahoma. In 1943, he married Mary Ellen Wood who was born 1921, Chelsea, Oklahoma. Their children:
A. Joyce Ann Tarvin, born 1944, in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
B. William Edward, Jr., born 1953, married Debbie Davis in 1975.
William's home in 1980 was in Little Rock, Arkansas.
LINEAGE OF RUTH TRAWEEK
1. David BRASWELL, born July 25, 1820, and died December 22, 1892. He married Pennie (?). On the 1880 Coffee County Census, the following information was found:
David- 60 Granddaughter Alina- 11
Wife Penny- 66 Granddaughter May- 9
Son Samuel- 23 Grandson William- 7
Daughter Menom- ?
2. W.W. BRASWELL, born August 10, 1843, Georgia. He married Gertrude Reynolds who was born January 7, 1850, and died 1936. W.W. died September 13, 1883. Their children:
A. Bell BRASWELL, married Jim Calhoun.
B. Charles BRASWELL, married Beulah Talbet.
C. Ruth BRASWELL, married William C. Harrison.
D. William Cicero BRASWELL, married Bessie Farris.
E. Ella Eugenia BRASWELL, married Pascal Bruce Traweek.
3. Ella Eugenia BRASWELL was born June 15, 1883. She married Pascal Bruce Traweek, Atty.
4. Ruth Traweek of Northport, Alabama- no vital statistics.
LINEAGE OF PATRICIA (HENNESSEY) WEEKS
1. George W. BRAZLE was born August 15, 1812, and died August 15, 1869. He married Elizabeth (?) who was born January 18, 1825, Ohio and died August 23, 1867.
2. Jeruna Angeline BRAZLE was born December 28, 1854, Wisconsin and died December 16, 1927, in Kansas City, Missouri, and was buried in Jasper County, Missouri. She married William B. Williams who was born about 1855, Wisconsin.
3. Elizabeth Emily Williams was born April 30, 1892, Jasper County, Missouri, and died August 3, 1953, Kansas City. In 1907, she married William Hennessey, who was born about 1832? in Canada.
4. John H. Hennessey, who was born March 3, 1908, Bourbon County, Kansas, died December 15, 1978, Hickory County, Missouri. He married Norma Lucille Rush on 1931. She was the daughter of Clarence and Lucille (Kidd) Rush.
5. Patricia Hennessey was born 1933, Kansas City, Missouri. She married Albert "Bud" Weeks in 1954. No more information on her family at this time.